Copper Water has Antibacterial effects

One of copper’s benefit which is to be backed by scientific research is its antibacterial effect.

Here is a analysis by healthline.com regarding the Health benefits of Copper Containers.

Both old and recent evidence suggests that copper may be used as a water purification or sterilisation system, as ancient Ayurveda techniques recommended.

This may be especially beneficial for the estimated 1 billion people who don’t have access to safe drinking water.

Contaminated water can contain considerable amounts of bacteria, including Vibrio cholerae, Shigella flexneri, Escherichia coli, and Salmonella typhimurium, that can cause diarrhea — one of the leading causes of death in developing countries.

Fortunately, simply storing water in a copper pot or vessel may kill these harmful bacteria.

The term “contact killing” is used to describe copper’s antibacterial effect. Researchers believe that exposure to the mineral causes extensive damage to the cell walls of bacteria, causing their death.

Still, studies agree that water should be stored in the copper container for several hours before drinking it to ensure that the antibacterial effect has been successful.

Some research reported the antibacterial effect when storing the water overnight. In contrast, other studies suggest waiting 16–24 hours, or even up to 48 hours.

This means that filling a pricey copper water bottle in the morning to stay hydrated throughout the day might not have much of a sterilising effect.

Rather, keeping water in copper pots or jars for longer may be more useful.

Long-term exposure to high doses of copper may cause copper toxicity, which is characterised by nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhoea. It may even lead to liver damage and kidney disease.

One way you may develop copper toxicity is by consuming stagnant water that flows through copper-containing pipes, which allow for high quantities of copper to leach into the water.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends no more than 0.47 mg of copper per cup (2 mg per litre) of water. This ensures that the tolerable upper intake level of 10 mg per day won’t be exceeded.

When it comes to water stored in copper containers, even for periods of up to 16 hours, studies show that the amount of leached copper is well below WHO’s safety limits.

Still, proponents of the trend suggest that you limit your copper water intake to 3 cups (710 mL) per day.

Copper water is simply water that has been stored in a copper container. This allows for safe amounts of copper to leach into the water.

While most of the practice’s purported benefits aren’t backed by scientific studies, it exerts an antibacterial effect that may kill diarrhoea-causing bacteria in contaminated water.

However, research suggests that for the leached copper to kill bacteria, the water must be stored in a copper vessel at least overnight or up to 48 hours.

This means that the best containers are most likely copper pots or jars rather than copper water bottles that are filled on the go.

Source of Information:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/copper-water-benefits#bottom-line

https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/water-quality/guidelines/chemicals/copper.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5041382/